Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Civil Rights and Jackson

If possible, I'd like to make my way directly to Jackson, Mississippi for my next stop. Similarly to how Howard Cruse's graphic novel depicts the relationship between the civil rights movement and the gay rights movement, I too would like to make some sort of connection in this historic town (and hopefully throughout my journey)

First off, I'd like to check out the Medgar Evers Home Museum, which commemorates the civil rights activist Medgar Evers who was assassinated by a KKK member, sparking protests across the state.


Location: 2332 Margaret W. Alexander Drive
JacksonMississippi 39213United States.




I'll also be checking out the The Robertson Museum and Cultural Center of Jackson to get a sense of Jackson's cultural heritage as well as some of the cities more famous landmarks and people. 


After a nice day of museums and education, I'll be heading to discover more about my main interest on my trip and hit up a few of Jackson's gay bars to get an understanding of the cities community. First off will be Jack and Jill's, an upscale bar downtown. I'll also check out Jack's Construction site, another gay bar up the road also known as "JC's" 



I'm goin' to Jackson!



No comments:

Post a Comment